- Sweeney, Matthew M., Perliger, Arie, & Pedahzur, Ami. (Forthcoming). Reconstructing the Theater of Terror. Small Wars & Insurgencies. DOI: 10.1080/09592318.2020.1794176.
- Dmello, Jared R., Perliger, Arie, & Sweeney, Matthew M. (Forthcoming). The Violence of Political Empowerment: Electoral Success and the Facilitation of Terrorism in the Republic of India. Terrorism and Political Violence. DOI: 10.1080/09546553.2020.1761342.
- Sweeney, Matthew M. & Kubit, Meghan. (Forthcoming). Blood and Scripture: How the Islamic State Frames Religion in Violent Video Propaganda. Dynamics of Asymmetric Conflict. DOI: 10.1080/17467586.2019.1680853.
- Harris, Christopher & Sweeney, Matthew M. (Forthcoming). Understanding Police Union Contracts. Policing: A Journal of Police and Practice. DOI: 10.1093/police/paz042
- Sweeney, Matthew M. (2019) Who can be a Leaderless Resistor: A Case Study Test of Literature-Based Assumptions of Leaderless Resistance. Studies in Conflict and Terrorism, 42(7), 617-635. DOI: 10.1080/1057610X.2017.1407480.
- Sweeney, Matthew M. & Perliger, Arie. (2018) Explaining the Spontaneous Nature of Far-Right Violence in the United States. Perspectives on Terrorism 12(6). 52-71. Weblink.
- Sweeney, Matthew M. (2020). Who's in Charge?: How Group Centralization Influences Ideology, Tactics, and Recruitment in American Extremist Groups. The University of Massachusetts Lowell. Lowell, MA. Weblink.
- Perliger, Arie & Sweeney, Matthew M. (Forthcoming). "Terrorism: Domestic." in Lauren R. Shapiro & Marie-Helen Maras (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Security and Emergency Management. Switzerland: Springer. Weblink.
- Perliger, Arie & Sweeney, Matthew M. (2018). "The Role of Deterrence in US Counter-Terrorism Strategy in Iraq and Afghanistan," in Eli Liberman (Ed.) Deterring Terrorism, New York: Routledge. Weblink.
- Managing for Results: Implementation of GPRA Modernization Act Has Yielded Mixed Progress in Addressing Pressing Governance Challenges. GAO-15-819. Washington, D.C.: September 30, 2015. Retrievable at: http://www.gao.gov/assets/680/672862.pdf
Book Reviews and Media Publications
- Sweeney, Matthew M. (2019). Bring the War Home: The White Power Movement and Paramilitary America. Democracy & Security. DOI: 10.1080/17419166.2019.1598120.
- Sweeney, Matthew M. (2019, April 3). FAR RIGHT TERRORISM & THE PROBLEMATIC CASE OF SPONTANEOUS ATTACKS: A QUANTITATIVE STUDY. The Centre for Analysis of the Radical Right. Retrieved from: https://www.radicalrightanalysis.com/2019/04/03/far-right-terrorism-the-problematic-case-of-spontaneous-attacks-a-quantitative-study/ on April 3, 2019.
- Sweeney, Matthew M. (2018, June 19). What is the Sovereign Citizen Movement, what do they believe and how are they spreading? Radicalisation Research. Retrieved from: https://www.radicalisationresearch.org/guides/sweeney-sovereign-citizen-movement/ on June 19, 2018.
Manuscripts Under Review/In-Progress
- Dmello, Jared Romeo, Sweeney, Matthew M., & Perliger, Arie. Explaining the Association between Electoral Victory and Majoritarian Violence. [Under Review]
- Sweeney, Matthew M., Chenane, Joselyne Nkogo, & Perliger, Arie. The Role of Demographic Diversification of the Police Force in Curbing Hate Crimes: Cross-Sectional and Longitudinal Analyses. [Under Review]
- Mirazaldi, Juan, Palmieri, Michael, Sweeney, Matthew M., & Perliger, Arie. An Empirical Evaluation of the Association between State-Levels of Far-Right Violence and Extremist Online Discourse: Exploring the "Iron March."
- Palmieri, Michael & Sweeney, Matthew M. Sovereign Netizens: A Social Network Analysis of the Sovereign Citizen Movement.
- Sweeney, Matthew M., & Cote, Tyler**. Competing for Control: A Test of an Intraorganizational Competition Extension of the Theory of Outbidding.
- Terrorist Organizations and Tactical Diversity
- Terrorist Video Propaganda
- Media Portrayals of Sovereign Citizens
- Policing and Hate/Bias Crimes in America